Saturday, May 10, 2014

Catching up

It's unreal how much has happened since out last post. We have been through some incredible losses in the last 6-10 months, but with God's help we are still standing strong!

In July, my mother moved in with us due to failing health and she stayed with us until September. At that time she went to live with my brother. Her health got worse and she passed away the 30th of October. I really didn't think I would miss her as much as I do, but I think about her everyday. She used to drive me crazy with daily phone calls and now I would give anything for one of those calls.

Thirteen days after her death I woke up around 6 in the morning after having a lovely dream about her. I even posted a facebook status about wishing I could pause my dream and play it back the way we do our tv shows. Everyone got ready for work and school and left the house. I dozed back off to sleep in the recliner, as usual. I woke up again around 9:30 and went out on my front porch to sit for awhile.I usually dozed until 10:00 - everyone says my mom woke me up.

I was sitting on the porch, listening to the windchimes and thinking how peaceful it was when I realized there was another sound coming from the house. The smoke alarms in the house were going off!! I saw smoke coming from the garage and ran into the house to call 911. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and opened the garage door. The garage was filled with smoke and fire! I sprayed the fire extinguisher anyway then dropped it. I don't even remember going through the house - the next thing I remember was grabbing my little dog from the bathroom and then running to my brother's house next door. I stood on his back porch and watched my house burn.

We live in a rural area so all we have is volunteer fire departments. The first truck got there pretty fast, but had no water. The next trucks that came would not come off the driveway, although we begged them to go around back and use the water from the pool to fight the fire. The fire was fully involved before they started putting water on it, so the house was a total loss. We lost everything.

I think the greatest losses I have in the fire are my little ferret, my scrapbooks, and the things I inherited from my mother. I had over 30 scrapbooks that I have worked on over the last 5 years for my children and grandchildren that are now ashes. I hear people say all the time how lucky we are and how all we lost are "things". But some of those "things" were so invaluable to me. Like the sewing bench that my mother had for years. The Asian statue my dad brought back from overseas. These "things" hold very special memories and cannot be replaced. Neither can they be handed down to my children like I had planned.

We struggled with the idea of rebuilding again. This was not our first fire. Our house burned down in 2004 as well. We just didn't know if we should try again. We prayed a lot. Finally we decided to chance it again and are in the process of rebuilding on the same lot. The house is about 1/3 completed. The builder has told us that the latest it will be completed it October, but we are praying for August so we can be in it and settled by the time the kids go back to school.

People have been so kind to us!! People we don't even know have come out to help us and we are so grateful!! I don't know what we would've done without their help. Done without, I guess. I can't possible thank everyone of them, but I have prayed for a special blessing for each of them. God is so good!!

No comments:

for stopping by!